Tuesday morning in Our Coffee Shop the topic of SDR HF transceivers came up in the conversation. Stan, N9RFO mentioned that he was looking at a couple of different models.
I suggested that since he was looking at SDR radios that he might want to consider the Xeigu G90 and Icom IC-705. I have been looking at these for a while.
Shortly after the group, I received a message to call Stan, so I did.
Stan found this radio on sale new for the unbelievable price of ONLY $84.99…. WOW! He also mentioned that he ordered one! I can’t wait to hear his report on how he likes his new radio!
What a great deal!
Here’s a link to the site: The link is no longer functioning, see the UPDATE below.
With the G90, I like the low price, usually sold for between $450 and $500, and the wide range of features. I also like the portability. This unit is pretty small. The TFT LCD screen on the front is 1.8 ” for a reference.
Only 20W out on SSB, CW, FM with 13.8V is a little bit light, but, pretty good for a “QRP” radio. Perhaps too much to be considered QRP by some.
But, for $85, how could you go wrong!
We are a little past a month since Stan ordered the radio. He has received an indication that it has shipped, but, it has not arrived as of yet.
We are aware that the link in referenced in the article above is not working. It was working at the time of original posting. I have removed the hotlink.
Still hoping that Stan’s new radio does arrive, but the situation looks precarious at this time. Good luck Stan, and if you don’t get the radio, I surely hope you get your money back.
- Modes: SSB / CW / AM / FM *
- RF Output Power: 20W (SSB/CW/FM), 5W (AM Carrier), 13.8VDC, stepping 0.5W
- Receive frequency range: 0.5 MHz-30 MHz
- Operating voltage range: 10.5-16.5 V DC (voltage must be in 13.8-15V if need 20W
- Transmission frequency: All amateur bands in the range of 1.8 to 29.999 MHz plus 60 meters in USA
- Receive current draw: 500mA
- Transmit current draw: 8A max.
- Operating temperature range: -10 C ~ +50 C
- Frequency stability: ± 10 ppm after warm-up
- Size: 4.75″ x 1.75″ x 8.25″ (main body without handles)
- Weight: Around 1 kg
- Antenna Socket: SO-239
- Impedance 50 Ω